Livingston Classical Academy teaches Latin to its students because it is beautiful! We want to give our students access to some of the greatest thinkers the world has ever known, and many of them recorded their ideas in Latin. While we want them to love Latin for its own sake, we also recognize a myriad of pragmatic reasons to pursue this discipline. Here are just a few of them:
- Latin teaches students to be attentive.
- Latin teaches students to love words. The precision of Latin provides students with a linguistic understanding that cannot be as thoroughly comprehended in their mother tongue. Using the right word, at the right time, and in the right context is empowered by the study of classical languages.
- Latin is a powerful vocabulary builder. Over 50% of English words come from Latin. One single Latin word may represent the roots of five to ten English words. By learning Latin prefixes and endings, as well as Latin roots, students are capable of comprehending many English words that they may not have previously studied.
- Training in Latin lays the foundation for learning other Latin-based (Romance) languages like French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, and Romanian.
- For professional careers like medicine and law, Latin provides the base for many technical terms and names.
- Students who take 2 years of Latin score an average of 152 points higher on the SAT test.
- After one year of Latin, students have been shown to progress 4-12 months ahead of their peers in spelling, reading, vocabulary, science, history, and math problem solving.