What is the Barney Charter School Initiative?
The mission of the Barney Charter School Initiative is to promote the founding of classical charter schools and excellence in their teaching and operations, to the end that public-school students may be educated in the liberal arts and sciences and receive instruction in the principles of moral character and civic virtue.
Hillsdale Charter Schools Commitments:
The following ten commitments are required of all Barney Charter Schools associated with Hillsdale College:
- The centrality of the Western tradition in the study of history, literature, philosophy, and fine arts;
- A rich and recurring examination of the American literary, moral, philosophical, political, and historical traditions;
- The use of explicit phonics instruction leading to reading fluency, and the use of explicit grammar instruction leading to English language mastery;
- The teaching of Latin;
- The acknowledgement of objective standards of correctness, logic, beauty, weightiness, and truth intrinsic to the liberal arts;
- A school culture demanding moral virtue, decorum, respect, discipline. and studiousness among the students and faculty;
- A curriculum that is content-rich, balanced and strong across the four core disciplines of math, science, literature, and history;
- A faculty where well-educated and articulate teachers explicitly convey real knowledge to students using traditional teaching methods rather than using so-called ‘”student-centered learning” methods;
- A school that uses technology effectively but without diminishing the faculty leadership that is crucial to academic achievement; and
- A school with a plan to serve grades K through 12, although the grades at school opening may be scaled back if reasonable.