Livingston Classical Academy was created to train the minds and nurture the hearts of young people through a rigorous, classical education in the liberal arts and sciences, with instruction in the principles of moral character and civic virtue.
All students benefit from the highest standards of academic integrity and from a rigorous, content-rich, educational program that develops their intellectual capacity, personal character, and leadership skills. The school provides an environment that fosters academic excellence through the habit of discipline and thoroughness, the willingness to work, and the perseverance to complete difficult tasks. Through a defined traditional, classical curriculum, students will be prepared to become active and responsible leaders and members of their community.
Our Unique Differences:
- We offer a robust and content-rich curriculum, which focuses on mastery of the materials and not just success on the test.
- Our classroom instruction is knowledge-based and teacher-led, and incorporates the Socratic Method (an engaging dialogue between the teacher and the student) in order to better engage students in the lessons and deepen their understanding of the materials.
- Latin is taught beginning in the 6th grade.
- Grades 7 and up will have a flexible “seminar” period each day, where they can select a teacher or classroom to visit for additional help or instruction.
- Students will be taught to love learning and desire knowledge in order to seek truth.
The Core Foundations of Our Classical Education:
- We value knowledge because in order to express and understand complex ideas, a person must have a working knowledge of facts, ideas, and references known to all in a given social and political order. This is cultural literacy, and we believe it is essential to a nation’s identity. Students, over their years in school, will be expected to learn information, to apply it, and as they get older, to extrapolate from it. Livingston Classical Academy will be content-rich. As someone once said, “in order to think, one has to have something to think about.”
- We seek to uphold a standard of excellence. To be “classical” means that. In upholding that standard, it does not mean that we do not recognize that different students have different abilities. We know that they will learn at different speeds. Livingston Classical Academy will offer various remedial courses to encourage students in their academic struggles, but excellence will always be the goal.
- We will insist on moral virtue as far as it relates to the school from our administrators down to our students. At Livingston Classical Academy, we leave questions of faith to the students and their parents, but we will foster an environment where all of us will be expected to behave in a morally virtuous manner. Expectations will be high: all students must be attentive and polite. They may sometimes differ with their teachers or administrators on a particular issue, but the “differing” must be expressed in a respectful manner. In literature and history, the students will be exposed to the great stories of self-command and self-sacrifice, of inner conflicts between right and wrong. We will encourage them to follow the higher path.
- We will seek to prepare our students to assume their places as responsible citizens in the political order of the United States. To do that in an intelligent manner, they will be taught our nation’s founding principles. Founding documents such as the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and some of the Federalist Papers along with letters and/or essays written by members of our early government will be studied. Ideas will be discussed such as: What is true freedom? What is limited, balanced, federal, and accountable government? What are the rights of a citizen? What are not rights? How do state rights balance federal rights? How do they work in conjunction with a citizen’s private rights? What about a citizen’s duties to fellow citizens, to their various governments?
Livingston Classical Academy excels, in great part, because of its managing partner, Choice Schools Associates. Choice is a family-owned, Michigan based education service provider with a team that is passionate about your child receiving the best education they possibly can.
For over two decades Choice Schools Associates has carried out its mission to partner with school communities, empowering and equipping them to fulfill their unique mission. Choice provides Michigan charter schools with exceptional assistance in all aspects of school management while striving to meet three fundamental and unchanging standards: significantly improve students’ academic achievement; delight parents and ensure high levels of satisfaction; and create a safe, secure learning environment.
Choice customizes its services to meet the unique needs of each academy and works diligently to ensure that the Academy Board’s vision is carried out. The strength of Choice is its exceptional people who provide services to children, parents and families at every school it manages. This recognition, coupled with its emphasis on achievement of Academy Board goals and Choice’s standards, makes Choice a truly unique education service provider.
We partner with school communities, empowering and equipping them to fulfill their unique mission.
In our communities everyone thrives. #EveryoneThrivesHere